Queen Anne's Lace

I was searching for the name of one of my favorite wild edible plant. After seeing it I couldn’t resist my smile and pronounced it loudly like an insane. I never heard the name, or the history behind it but what I know is some of my schooldays memories when we (my friends and my siblings) use to search for a sweet treasure beneath the green beautiful meadow lands of Hunza in teams after school. Collecting them and competing for the maximum number of wild carrots was a hobby for us. Digging land with sharp edged sticks, that excitement finding the larger size as compare to other team members, being victorious for collecting the most wild carrots, making bouquets from its flowers all are good memories of good Juvenile years.

But wait wait wait!!! I’ve some amazing facts about the wild carrot you might love to know if you are or were a wild carrot collector like me and my friends.
William turner named it wild carrot in 1548 but the name that amazed me is,Queen Anne’s Lace” isn’t this cool? The thoughts in mind after knowing its name was does it belong to the royal family of a great country? Or was it a favorite food of a beautiful queen? Or was she fell in love with the beautiful white umbrella like flower..?

But here are some fables behind the unique name.
The second daughter of James II of Great Britain, Queen Anne’s name is behind the mysterious name of wild carrot. The fables related to the name are;

Once the queen was making a lace and pricked her figure and the blood from her figure stained the flower.

Another interesting story related to it is, the queen challenged the ladies of royal family to mage a lace a elegant as the flower of wild carrot but no one couldn’t compete the creation and hand work of queen so it became her trade mark.

It is said that the purplish floret in the center refers to the queen while all the white florets to her collar lace.

Here is another story which says the name came from virgin Merry’s mother Saint Ann not from the name of Queen Anne.

Hey food lovers it doesn’t bother you where its name came from so here are some recipes you can try at home ;) You can use wild carrot in stews and soups and tea. Its flower and leaves can be used to add flour in different foods or you can eat them raw the way we use to but you have to clean them before eating.


 
The recipes are;


This herb is for our digestive system, support liver and helps in removal of waste from kidney.
 Its leaves have been used to stop kidney stone formation and cystitis and helps in many other ways...



Comments

Popular Posts