S E L F H E A L

Well, this time I'm writing about one of my favorite wildflowers. You might have seen these flowers on the sides of your fields covered with frozen dew in winters or blooming all in violet from June to October. Maybe it has my favorite color that fascinate but, it also looks amazing during winters. . My love for nature has always drawn my attention towards tiny blessings we have on our land. Most of us pay no attention towards these herbs but, for me, It's always good to collect information about these miniature gifts from the nature. Like its elegant violet color, it has an amazing name as well that is "SELFHEAL" also known as Prunella vulgaris. The names depict that It's name name reveals everything one wants to know and one doesn't need to question more about it. Anyhow, I'm a wonderer and was reading some articles about this beauty. I come across some amazing facts and would love to share some information that might help people get some benefits from it. Selfheal is commonly found herb throughout Gilgit Baltistan I do not have any evidence about its use as a remedy in Gilgit Baltistan but It might have been used by our ancestors. Nevertheless, the ancient world has been using it for sore throats, prevent from heart diseases, Minor injuries and mouth ulcer. WWII it was used to control internal bleeding and minor injuries, the ancient Chinese used it to overcome liver problems and cure cancer. It can also cure burns, hemorrhoids, insect bites, high blood pressure and herpes. Selfheal contains vitamin K, C, thiamine and tannin.  Besides all its medical uses you can grow these in your gardens to add an additional variable to flower range in your garden as it looks amazing both in summers and winters.  
In the cooking world people use  its fresh shoots and leaves  in soups and raw salad as It belongs to the mint family. During my visit to Hunza in 2014 I have collected a number of herb pictures I do not know much about and since then I'm writing and sharing interesting facts everyone out there should know. On my next visit I'm going to experiment all these edibles in my kitchen and will surely share what difference these make in food.
I would love to windup my write-up with this poem I read about Selfheal by Cicely Mary Barke. While reading it there was a wide smile on my face because I myself love writing poems.The title of the poem is "The Song of the Self Heal Faery" 

When little Elves have cut themselves,

Or Mouse has hurt her tail,

Or Froggie's arm has come to harm,

This herb will never fail.

The Faeries' skill can cure each ill

And soothe the sorest pain;

She’ll bathe and bind, and soon she’ll find, that they are well again.



References




Comments

Popular Posts